It is true that in this era of advancing science and technology, we all have heard about 3D printing services, its benefits and applications as well. What most of us don’t know is how this amazing technology emerged. Apart from that, in this blog, we shall also share some unique and interesting facts about 3D printing. So sit back, relax and let Global 3D present you some basic yet engaging facts that you have not heard before.
3D Printing Unknown Facts
- Did you know that 3D printing emerged in the ‘80s? Yes, you heard that right. It is older than you think. In the year 1984, Chuck Hull invented a technology known as Stereolithography. This process included UV lasers for solidifying photopolymer that created 3D parts layer by layer.
- Initially, 3D printing was used for prototyping, but it is now being used for creating production-ready pieces. In fact, large corporations continued to use rapid prototyping for saving millions of dollars. For instance, Ford is using 3D printing to create large selections of car parts for testing. According to the company, they can save $493,000 in a month, utilising this production method.
- The 3D printers print a model in layers. The additive manufacturing technology works just like the inkjet printers. The ink jet printer puts a single layer of ink at the top of the page to ensure that the job is done. On the other hand, a 3D printer adds new layers on the top of each layer until the object is completed.
- Pretty much anything and everything can be 3D printed. This is a surprising fact that you can print in titanium, wood, ceramics and any other materials. These materials are not only restricted to elite industrial giants. Everyone can upload 3D designs to online 3D printing services. In the last few years, there has been 3D printed houses, dresses, drones, jewelry and table wear bring printed.
- 3D printing can reduce production costs to a huge extent. It is true that traditional manufacturing models require a lot of upfront costs, storage fees, and uncertainty from the investors. You need to set up machines and rent spaces. 3D printing requires a much more fluid approach. You can print orders on-demand. For an entrepreneur or a designer, the 3D printers can definitely come in handy.
- Fun fact: 3D printing services are already being used in numerous movies. With the help of this technology, a lot of the props can be created and re-created easily and quickly without starting from scratch. Movies like Iron Man, The Hobbit, Avatar, Jurassic Park, Terminator Salvation, The Avengers and more have utilized 3D printing technology.
- 3D printing is launching into space as well. The NASA researchers are presently working to utilise 3D printing technology to implement it into space. The idea is to send robots ahead of astronauts for constructing buildings and infrastructure on lunar surfaces.
- 3D printing is being used for education as well. The usage of 3D printing technology is increasing in schools to integrate students with disabilities in programs where the students were traditionally excluded. Personalised 3D printing medical solutions can also empower a person with arm injuries in becoming a musician, a person who doesn’t have legs can play soccer and even blind students can see microscopic slides.